The Michigan Association of Health Plans Foundation (MAHPF) collaborates with public and private partners to conduct research projects related to managed care, chronic disease and health care quality improvement. MAHPF provides educational resources for the public and for health professionals about chronic disease.
Diabetes Prevention Program
The MAHP Foundation has been a leader in programs that help health plans and providers to prevent and manage chronic disease.
The MAHP Foundation is working with the National Kidney Foundation to implement health system level changes and community-clinical linkages which address these chronic diseases. By creating awareness through evidence-based programs such as the Diabetes Prevention Program, the NKFM and MAHPF plan to further address hypertension and prediabetes in Wayne and Oakland Counties.
The My Choice. . . My Health: Diabetes Prevention Program is a structured lifestyle change program for adults over age 18. Through 16 weekly sessions and 6 monthly sessions, participants learn to make lifestyle changes to reduce their risk for type 2 diabetes.
Children’s Healthcare Access Program
MAHP Foundation is working with the Michigan Association of United Ways to help children on state-funded health care to better access care.
Genomics: Hereditary Cancer Risk and Management
The MAHP Foundation, MAHP member plans and the Michigan Department of Community Health Cancer Genomics Division are collaborating to promote cancer genomics best practices in genetic counseling and testing.
Several resources are available to help you learn more about hereditary cancer risk, and evidence based guidelines for genetic testing for breast and ovarian cancer risk. Information for patients and families is also available. Links to access information are available below:
- Herediatary Breast and Ovarian Cancer: Is Your Patient at High Risk?
- Michigan Cancer Genetics Alliance/Michigan Cancer Consortium Position Paper on Genetic Counseling and Testing for Hereditary Cancer
- Healthy People 2020
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Guidelines
- US Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) Grade B Recommendation for BRCA
- Michigan Informed Consent Law Brochure PDF
- Michigan Cancer Genetics Alliance (MCGA) – Cancer Genetics Clinical Directory
- BRCA1 and BRCA2 Hereditary Breast and Ovarian Cancer review
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services – Criteria for coverage of BRCA1/2 testing
- Evaluation of Genomic Applications in Practice and Prevention (EGAPP) Lynch Syndrom Recommendation
- Resource Order Form PDF - Michigan Department of Community Health (MDCH) Cancer Genomics Program
- Michigan Genetics Resource Center - Cancer Genetics Information
Presentation from the MCGA:ICARE webinar: Inherited Cancer Registry (ICARE)
Presentations from the MI Cancer Genomics Steering Committee meeting on April 29, 2016
- Bring Your Brave Campaign, CDC Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, by Temeika Fairley, CDC-DCPC Health Scientist
- Michigan Association of Health Plans, by Dominick Pallone, MAHP Deputy Director
- 2016 Spring Surveillance Update, by Jillian Schrager (MDHHS Cancer Genomics Epidemiologist)
Area Agencies on Aging Association of Michigan
MAHPF & The Area Agencies on Aging (AAA) are working together to disseminate information and create awareness about two pilot program opportunities for seniors on fall prevention and Type 2 Diabetes management.
The fall prevention program “A Matter of Balance” & Diabetes Self-Management Program:
- Are evidence-based classes that were created by Stanford University (Diabetes Self-Management Program) and Boston University (A Matter of BalanceTM)
- Classes are being expanded thanks to a $5 million grant from the Michigan Health Endowment Fund that will last through October of 2016.
Webinar About Free Falls And Diabetes Classes For Plan Members Age 60+
This webinar discusses free classes now available statewide to help seniors prevent falls, and those with Type 2 Diabetes manage their condition. To learn more about the classes, their outcomes and cost-savings, and the easiest way to make referrals watch the webinar here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gebHi9bI-Bs&feature=youtu.be
Additional information is available below: